It’s my favourite month of the year. Not so much cause I was born in this month. Not so much because I love winter – you’re allowed to love it when you live in the tropics. Not really because it’s the holiday season and everything is awash with colour and fairy lights and stardust. It is magical and in that magic, you get to ponder on your life and make peace with what’s brought you here and what you have to look forward to in the next year. There’s also the fact that no matter how much you’ve screwed up this year, you have a fresh start just around the corner.
And you know how hot chocolate makes philosophers of us all –here are some life lessons that struck me when I was sipping a dream, cuddled up in my blanket and being distracted from my book
- Life isn’t fair but it still is very, very good
- When fear and uncertainty grips you, don’t retreat into yourself. Take baby steps
- Your job won’t take care of you when you are ill or need pampering or both. Your friends and family will. Your time investments should reflect this.
- Life is too short to not enjoy it or be happy
- Make peace with your past. It will haunt you every now and then but it’ll stop getting in your way.
- If your relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn’t be in it
- Don’t save for a special occasion – break out the nice wine, put on your fancy clothes, light the scented candles – TODAY is the day.
- As hopeless as it seems, things pass.
- All that will truly matter in the end is that you loved and loved completely.
Bonus Life Lesson – When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile!